Search This Blog


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Inspiration From The Garden

Today was day two of my little garden making experiment. Dang, there is a ton of work that goes into making a garden. I had absolutely NO idea what I was getting myself into. 

Here's the thing - the place we decided to put the garden once had grass, so there are a butt load of roots all over! I looked up some information on roots and found out that it's best to remove all the roots so that they don't steal the nutrients from the stuff I'm planting. Pain in the rear! My back has never hurt so bad in my life! But, ya wanna know something good? As I was whacking away with my little garden tool I had a revelation! LoL okay maybe revelation is too strong of a word - I had some insight? You can call it whatever you want, but here is what I started thinking about....

I was pulling up this monster root and realized that I still had half way to go with the area of the garden I decided to work on. I said to myself, "oh my gosh! I just want to leave the roots! I'm sure the garden will still grow, this is too much damn work!" The roots were deep and my energy level was coming to its end, then I had this thought pop into my head: Sure, you can leave the roots, but you know they're going to suck up all the nutrients...if you want your garden to thrive then the space needs to be cleared. Can anyone guess what my next thought was? Shut up little voice inside my head! That's not what I want to hear!! LoL then came on the mature/adult thought...

Holy Crap! That totally relates to how the roots of  our past pull our bodies down. 

When we hold onto the past and let it control our life, we are allowing those roots to dig their way in. The past can weigh on us, and just like the roots that steal nutrients from a garden - roots of the past can steal the joy right out of you. 

What else? Roots are a b.i.t.c.h to remove! Like I said, my back has never hurt so much in my life. My arm is sore, and I probably have a sun burn....but it is all worth it! Putting in the work now is going to make it so that my garden produces amazing plants! Anything worth having is worth working for - you can't expect everything in life to be easy. Changing and recreating the person you want to be is a lot of work. You've spent your entire life building up your current belief system, don't think you can just turn all that around in one day. It will take time - but as long as you have a clear focus on where and who you want to be, then most of the work is already done. Now all you gotta do is wake up each day with a smile on your face and be grateful for all the things you have in your life. The roots will begin to pull themselves up and out of your body. It may be uncomfortable and you may want to give up and just leave them there, but just remember how great you'll feel once you are root free and able to live at your maximum potential. Nothing will be sucking your energy, and you will feel lighter and more able to carry on the tasks of each day.

Life is about learning. We are not meant to carry around our past like a dark and terrible thing - we are meant to learn from it and move on. Who cares what you did in the past - it's the past, let is PASS. Only you, and you alone have the power to change who you are. Just because you did something you weren't proud of last year, or even last night - so what! Make the decision today to start living in accordance with what you know to be right. Our past does not define us. We in this present moment define who we are. You can mix it up and change it around as much and as often as you like. Have fun with yourself (keep your minds clean now) and enjoy every moment that you are blessed with.

Okay, now I'm super hungry and going to enjoy myself a yummy in my tummy  vanilla/banana smoothie :)

(Nick if you're reading this I hope you got a laugh outta that yummy in my tummy part)

4 comments:

  1. Yummy Tummy,

    I find it a very abstract, although appropriate, connection between gardening and life. Impressive that you are able do things that are unrelated on the surface and then have ideas from each translate to one another. You blogs are always pretty insightful and interesting to read. Does it take you a while to think this stuff up, or does it come pretty quick and naturally?

    Also, just like if you don't let your roots show, the people around you can only see what's on the surface. The deep down roots are what made you into the *(Insert plant of choice)* you are today.

    Nick.
    PS, was it Yummy in your Tummy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Nick

    LoL oh yes, it was super yummy in my tummy! Honestly one of the best smoothies I've ever made. I've never had fresh vanilla bean before...I just threw a whole stick into the blender and vuala - tummy yumminess!

    And the ideas totally come to me quickly. It's super easy for me to write out my thoughts. I have no clue where it all comes from, but it sure does come! (I'm always deep thinking)

    And I'm glad you liked my tummy reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley! This is amazing! I swear we think so much alike. I completely agree with you on everything! I definitely needed to read this because I've been having a hard time forgiving myself for past mistakes even though I'm on the right path to changing for the better. Thank you for posting your amazing thoughts!

    <3 Nicole Ridge

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Nicole

    Anytime! I *totally* agree that we have a ton of similar views. Honestly, almost everything you post on FB I'm like holy crap - I was just thinking or doing the same thing! It's funny. Glad we can inspire each other

    ReplyDelete