Search This Blog


Friday, September 3, 2010

You Finally Know - You Control Where You Go (You Can Steer)

New Favorite artist? Missy Higgins! She's this chick from Australia, and I am absolutely in love with the tone of her voice. Her lyrics are pretty amazing as well. The title for today's post came from her song 'Steer' 

So, like the song says - we control where we go. We can map out a plan and steer our way positively through life. Common sense is such a gift. Questions are so powerful. If in everything you do, you ask yourself the question, "Is this adding value to my life and bringing me closer to where I want to be?" then getting to your destination would be a lot faster; that is of course if you go with your instincts and follow the progressive path. 

Trust me, I know this is such a hard task. Even though we all want to live the best lives imaginable we still somehow manage to screw things up. Why is this? Well, I'm certainly no expert, but I can tell you that from my own experience I've found that there is this deep seeded rebellious side to my personality. I almost always want to do the opposite of what I know I should do. LoL this doesn't mean that I act on those feelings of wanting to rebel, but the thought is there, and it pokes at me and causes all sorts of trouble. I'm getting a flash of the angel/devil thing on each shoulder. Haha. The good conscience and the bad conscience. I think the fact that we are all aware (well, most of us anyways) that there are good decisions and bad decisions makes complicating things a lot easier. 

There are always two routes we can take, and many times we spend our lives debating over which way to go. We stop at the fork in the road and stay there, thinking...instead of acting. We can think all we want, but we aren't going to go anywhere until we take a step. I am such a thinker. I think, think, think - but rarely ever act on what it is I know I should be doing. And, it's not even a matter of what I think I should be doing - it's more a matter of what I want to be doing. There are no should do or have to's in life. We can do whatever it is we want. We are free beings, equipped with minds of our own. Minds that can do, say, or think any and everything. If I am doing something it's because I want to. If I'm sitting on my rear being lazy - it's because I want to. If I am having a bad day and taking it out on other people - it's because I want to. Everything you do you are doing because you want to. Right after writing that sentence I had a scenario pop into my head of someone saying - "Well, I remember lots of times I've done things that I didn't want to do! What you just wrote is non-sense!" This could very well be true, but let me give you an example:

Your friend calls you and asks if you can help them move. You feel tired and really don't want to...but you go ahead and help them anyways. Okay, so you didn't want to help them move, but you did want to be a good friend. So, since you wanted to be a good friend, you did this thing you supposedly didn't want to do. Make sense? 

Just remember that there is a reason behind everything, and ultimately that reason comes back to you. You do things out of your own personal wants and needs. Everyone's desires are different. Continue asking yourself what it is you want out of life. Do you want lots of friends? Then be a good friend. Do you want lots of money? Then be a dedicated worker. Do you want a fit body? Then work out. Do you want to be healthy? Then eat the right foods. To every action there is a reaction. You get back exactly what it is you put out into the world. Your life is nothing more than a product of all the actions you've taken in the past. Does this mean that you are stuck and are going to have to pay for everything you've ever done? Absolutely not! The world doesn't hold grudges. As long as you make up your mind to start working in a more positive direction, one that is in line with your personal goals, then things will start to shift. Just trust in yourself and your capabilities and endless opportunities will come your way. Make a wish, but don't sit back and expect it to happen on wishing alone. Action is required, not all the work can be done through the mental side of things. Movement on the physical side is just as important. Life begins with a thought, but it continues through your dedicated action.

3 comments:

  1. this is exactly the message i needed to hear today. thanx ashleygirl! great blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete