Search This Blog


Friday, December 10, 2010

Come Shine Your Light, Come Shine Your Light, Come Shine Your Light On Meee


Alright. Once again I am being inspired by simple to do, around the house stuff. Don't ask me where or how I come up with these things...they're beyond me...

So0o let me paint the picture for you - 

I'm standing at the stove, heating up some water for a cup of tea. It's pretty late, and only the dining room light is on, making it a little hard to see...so I decide to flip on that little overhead stove light, and BaM...I notice a bunch of gunk all over my Mom's stove top. First thought? Eeww, what the heck! I couldn't even tell it was there until I turned the light on. Then what? Well, that little voice inside my head that likes to turn ever situation into some deep eye opening moment said, "That's what happens when you let the light in. All the junk is exposed. Not to make you feel bad, but to give you an opportunity to 'clean-up'." 

This thought took me back to the memory of when I first quit drinking. Boy was that a nightmare. I thought letting go of the bottle would have been a life enhancer for sure, but that year was probably one of the toughest of my life. I've never had so much anxiety! I knew quitting was what I wanted to do, but I never realized how much I had been using alcohol to suppress my feeling. Alcohol was my dark blanket. It covered up all my problems. Once I removed the blanket and let the "light" in, my problems were given a chance to be cleaned out. The light exposes us for who we are, and that's why it can be so scary at times to step into the light. People now a days spend all their energy working to cover up their problems, not expose them...but exposing them is the healthiest thing! Once you expose the problem you give the problem a way out. Instead of harboring your problem - let it go! 

Shine the light on that mess, grab a sponge from the sink and wipe it up! And keep that light on so the next time you make a mess you can easily clean it up :)

Yes, that first year without alcohol was tough...but now I can honestly say that my life is a million times better without it. Alcohol was my escape from the world, and with it gone I have so much more clarity and meaning in my life. 

What's your "alcohol?" What's your escape? It comes in many different forms. I'm sure I still have a couple "alcohols" in my life. We all have at least one. Find what yours is. Or better yet, let the light in and allow it to find your suppressant for you.

Life doesn't always make sense...okay...almost never does it make sense in my world LoL but there is a great design. I don't think anyone will ever truly figure out this design, and I'm not sure it's even healthy to try and figure it out...but there is something we can do...and that's to just accept that there is something bigger then us, and live each day knowing that the world is working in our favor. We are meant to be happy and balanced. If we'll just step aside and allow ourselves joy, then it will come. 

There really isn't much we have to do - we just have to believe.




No comments:

Post a Comment